What is rammed earth?
Rammed earth is an ancient building process that dates back to Neolithic archaeological sites in 5000BCE. It is a procedure for building walls, foundations, and floors using natural raw materials such as earth, chalk, lime or gravel. Ancient as it is, it is proven to be sustainable, noncombustible, thermally massive, strong and very durable. The main benefit for it today, is that of using sustainable building materials and natural sound building methods with beautiful natural characteristics.
What is MEC’s process?
Modern Earth Construction uses the ancient technique and adds quality to it with stabilizing techniques and solutions to its mix. With this practice and the experience of working with contemporary architecture, gives MEC the ability to create unique sustainable and environmental structures to any building.
- Ingredients : : It begins with the soil. MEC’s knowledge of the variety of soils and their specific characteristics used in rammed earth is vast. They have worked with an assortment of mixtures from imported limestone to soils located locally to each individual project.
- Customization : : Because of the natural resources and variety of soils that we use, MEC can customize the look of rammed earth needed for the project. Color and textures of the specific soil used can be leveraged to create unique earth tones and surfaces.
- Screening Soil : : Consistency is key to screening soil for the mixture. This provides the soil with the right coarseness and density to the material to make it more pliable.
- Mixture Process : : Adding cement and water to screened soil is the elemental technique in rammed earth.
- Stabilizing Process : : Process of securing soils to re-emphasize its structural security. Adding stabilizing components, to help waterproof the materials used in their rammed earth mixtures for quality control.
- Foundation Beam : : Rammed earth needs to sit on expanded soils, rocks and all types of soil conditions need to start with pierce drilling to help stabilize. All rammed earth foundations are engineered to sustain the load of the wall. Because of Carlos de Luna’s experience with concrete formation skills, MEC has the advantage of fully customizing the concrete foundation with Stem Walls for its rammed earth projects.
- Conveyor Installation : : Soil mixture is transported to conveyor set up for placing materials into the foundation beams. See video.
- Compacting Soil : : Soil is compacted inside the foundation beam layer by layer, also known as “lifts” in rammed earth. These “lifts’ is what give the organic line formations so prevalent in rammed earth. Which also is what helps give it structural durability within each wall. See video.
- Curing Process : : Like most organic forms curing helps in preserving the “lift” formations within a wall. This is done with hard spraying and water force. See video.
- Quality Testing : : MEC provides mock-up and cylinder core testing for every project to insure construction. See video.
- Finishing Details : : Attention to detail in our construction, we can add smooth or rougher finishes with buffering and sanding processes.
What is our unique advantage?
Modern Earth Construction’s main advantages are quality assurance-mock testing, cylinder-core testing, concrete foundation installments, efficient and turn-key operations, and the attention to detail in all their custom modern structures.